Share this job:
Youth Care Mentor
Are you passionate about youth and community development? NSMHA is looking for a Youth Care Mentor with the After School Program! The Children’s After School Program is a therapeutic program for children ages 6 to 12. The program provides milieu treatment including behavior management/modification and facilitation of therapeutic groups and activities. The Youth Care Mentor position is designed for someone with personal lived experience and knowledge of mental illness.
What You’ll Do:
- Supervise children during program activities.
- Implement behavior management/modification in the milieu.
- Intervene during a crisis using appropriate techniques including NAPPI restraint.
- Drive pupil van and accompany other staff during ride.
- Complete daily documentation of children’s progress in the milieu.
- Maintain contact with caregivers and conduct outreach to their families in their homes and communities as necessary.
- Ensures all services are provided in a professional manner, ensuring privacy, safety, and respecting the youth and family’s dignity and right to choice.
- Coordinates transportation services for clients, and vehicle maintenance, repairs, registrations and inspections.
- Participates in team meetings and the facilitation of support groups as required.
What You’ll Need:
Education: Bachelors Degree preferred OR Associates degree plus one year of related experience OR HS Diploma/GED plus two years of related experience
Experience: Applicants must have personal lived experience and knowledge about mental illness that comes from the experience of being diagnoses and treated for mental illness. Milieu or recreational experience is preferred. Working knowledge of community resources is preferred.
Skills: A valid Massachusetts driver’s license is required. Bilingual (Spanish & English) is encouraged to apply. If you know Spanish, please note on your resume!
Schedule: 20 hours, Mon-Fri 2-6pm